A back surgery is not something doctors go into very easily. The spine is a very important part of your body and a slight error in the surgery can cause a person to go into a coma or can leave him paralysed. This is why doctors try a number of treatments like physiotherapy and injections to ease the lower body weakness and back pain. Incase none of those treatments work out, only then will a doctor recommend the surgery. Even though there are risks associated with a spine surgery, there are a lot of benefits as well. It’s best that you learn as much as you can before you go to the OR because the more you know, the more you have control over the procedure.
Benefits of the surgery
- You will be able to move around properly and in a better way.
- You will be physically fit because you’ll be able to indulge in activities which you couldn’t have previously even thought about.
- Your mood will become better and you will feel positive.
- You wouldn’t need painkillers. Work will become extremely easy because you won’t be constantly interrupted by the searing pain in your back. This will make your days more productive and your work enjoyable.
When should you go back to the hospital for spine surgery in india?
- Chills and fever that is above 101°F and is just not coming down.
- The pain around your surgery area is not subsiding.
- Greenish or yellow discharge from the healing wound
- If you lose feeling or feel a change in your legs and feet after a lower back surgery and if the same happens in your arm after a neck surgery.
- If you experience chest pain or shortness of breath everytime you walk for just a few minutes.
- There is swelling on the area you’ve been operated on.
- Your calf starts hurting and feels strained.
- Your back pain starts getting worse and does not get any better as the weeks pass.
- Experiencing difficulty peeing and controlling bowel movements.
You must not smoke or use tobacco right after a spine surgery. This is because smoking tobacco or using it in any form for your body slows the healing process which can cause complications. Avoiding tobacco is even more important if you have just had a graft or a fusion process done.
It is important that you consult your physical therapist or your surgeon before you go back to your previous job. If the job is too strenuous for you, even if your back is completely healed, you will be advised to leave it. The surgeon will also be giving you a prescription of the medication you will need for the pain. It is important that you get these medicines as soon as possible so that you can get back to the process of getting better. It is also suggested that you should start taking the medicines an hour before you indulge in any activity.