A criminal record check is an official document that illustrates an individual’s past criminal history, if any. It is issued by the government agencies or police authorities of the respective region.
Now, the question arises why do we need a criminal record check? Don’t worry, the name may frighten you, but the process will not. Here is a guide that answers all your queries about it.
Need of the criminal record check
The criminal record check is often asked by the companies, staffing agencies, legal firms, and government authorities as proof to testify the past work history and to assess an individual’s ethics and character. The document validates the absence or presence of any element that poses a safety issue to the counterpart bureaus or internal security of the nation.
It is required in the following situation:
- Recruitment procedures such as job hirings, internships, and college placements
- Volunteering for social work in rural or urban areas for the welfare of society
- Academic purposes, precisely admissions in foreign universities and research fellowships
- Passport authorities consider it as a mandatory document during the visa application
- Citizenship is granted after a thorough criminal record check
- Licensing or registration services may ask before for a record check before issuing the final document
- Fostering houses ask for a valid criminal check for the completion of the legal paperwork for the adoption of the child.
Every country has a Criminal Record Check Authority that is assigned for the procedure of a National Police Check. Physical offices are the norm, but online services are subject to availability. The three organizations, namely the Crime Check Agency, National Police Check Services, and Intelligent Commission, work closely to conduct the record inspection.
Firstly, the applicant has to fill a form that will primarily ask your name, date of birth, address in the past 5 years, and other socio-demographic details. Then, He/she is provided with a list of documents that are mandatory to be submitted.
After your submission, these authorities verify the information and cross-check with numerous databases for authentication and confirmation of identity. If you pass this level, an official request for a records check is submitted to the National Police Checking agencies.
These people examine the documents and re-check them with the national databases. The police agency gives the final verdict after investigation and thorough analysis of the applicant’s records with the Police History Information.
They are also responsible for issuing the Police Check certificate, which is prepared in consideration of the information asked by the interpreting agencies.
Documents required for the check
Besides the basic documents such as identity cards, address proofs, and voter cards, there is a long list of documents mandated by the Intelligence commission. For a better understanding of the applicants, they are classified into 3 categories.
- Commencement Document:This category majorly includes proof of address. Some of them are:
- Complete Birth Certificate
- Visa with all attached papers that clarify the purpose of travel
- Immigration card that states their migration details
- Identity certificate
- Domicile records
- Identity Certificates
- Address proof that verifies current residence location
- Citizenship Certificate.
- Primary Document:It includes documents issued by licensing authorities.
- An authentic document that verifies age issued by the government
- Students below 18 years of may submit verified student identity card issued by the university
- Driver’s license or provisional license issued by national or state road traffic authorities
All primary documents must have a photo on them along with a signature.
- 3. Tertiary Document: Some very crucial documents are a part of this category. Following is a list that mentions a few of them.
- Credit cards, debit cards, and bank details need to be submitted
- Health insurance cards
- Income tax return bills and certificates
- Any other identity cards issued by various government authorities
Besides the above-mentioned documents, you may also be asked to submit a photo of yourself while holding one of the documents. This is done to ensure discrepancies while corroborating the data of different times.
All documents should be valid and unexpired. Only passports are an exception to this rule. Submitting expired or wrong documents may be considered an act of fraud or deception.
In case of non-availability of any of the documents, you should directly contact the NPC team. Tell them the reason for the unavailability of the document. The team will assist and consider your situation and may provide special provisions if needed.
Validity of the criminal record check
The criminal record check operations are on-spot operations and do not carry an expiry date. It is up to the interpreting organization to set the validity period of the criminal check record.
Record check fees
Various agencies charge differently. It is also variable for employment and volunteer checks. Online modes of payment are also accepted. In case of cancellation of the procedure, refunds are provided after extensive verification.
All data provided to the accredited crime record check bureaus are safe as they use technological methods for encryption to preserve the integrity of the information provided.